Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Second Voyage


I went out on my second expedition on February 12, 1502. I was prepared for an encounter with the Muslim traders. I had a fleet of twenty warships. I hoped to enforce Portuguese's interests in the east and wanted to get revenge on the Muslims for the opposition in 1948 and killed many Indians and Muslims. In one instance, I waited for a ship to return from *Mecca. The Portuguese overtook the ship and seized all the merchandise. They locked the 380 passengers in the hold and set the ship on fire. It took four days for the ship to sink, killing all men, women and children.

When I arrived in Calicut on October 30, 1502, the Zamorin was willing to sign a treaty. I told him that he would have to banish all the Muslims. To demonstrate the power I had, I hung 38 fishermen; cut off their heads, feet and hands. Then I floated the dismembered corpses onto the shore. Later, I bombarded the city with guns and managed to get into the trading system. This led the way for other Portuguese conquests in the East Indies.

On my return to Portugal in September, 1503, I was made Count. I was also awarded feudal rights and *jurisdiction.

___________________________________________________________________
*Mecca- A muslim trading and religious center
*jurisdiction- the right, power or authority to administer justice by hearing and determining controversies